Installing a Blogger theme
This tutorial will get your newly acquired Blogger theme up and running on your blog in just a few minutes. This tutorial is for Blogger themes only. If you want to know how to add a theme to Wordpress, check our guide on installing Wordpress themes.
- Open a new tab or window and go to Blogger.com.
- Log in to the website. If you are already logged in, look for this window:
- Click the Manage layout link at the bottom.
- Now you should see your blog's template. Here you can move sidebar items (called widgets) and add new ones. However, your first task is changing your theme.
- In the menu, choose edit HTML.
- When you arrive at the Edit HTML page, it's a good idea to back up your existing template. Click the download full template link to do so.
- When you made sure you've got a backup of the old template on your hard drive, it's time to change your old template to a new one.
- Find the ZIP archive you downloaded from this website and unzip/unrar it.
- In the folder contained in the archive, there are three files: license.txt, readme.txt and themename.xml . For instance, if you downloaded the Grandaddy deluxe theme, the .xml file will be named grandaddydeluxe.xml or something similar.
- Now you have 2 options.
- Either open the .xml file in a plain text editor (like Notepad on Windows) and copy paste the contents to the edit template field.
- Or, use the restore template function to upload your new template. This seems illogical, but it's the easiest way to add a new theme.
Click the browse button and find the .xml file on your hard drive. Hit the upload button.
- Don't forget to save your template.
- Presto! Your blog has officially been pimped.